Little things CAN make a big difference

 

 

                                                                                              Photo by Kidwells Solicitors

  

1.3 billion people in the world have disabilities according to the World Health Organization, with includes individuals with print and intellectual disabilities. When creating my blog, I will admit that I was not looking at the layout and features to make sure that the content was accessible and inclusive to others. After reviewing my site, some things immediately came to my attention: 

 

I have used white font on a black background, which is high contrast and can still be easy for many that have low vision. But I also found out that some vision issues could see a "fuzziness" to the text, so it is not an all-inclusive color combination. 

My font size, however, should be large and clear enough for those with vision issues or that                   use a screen reader can find it legible, so that is one for the plus column.                  

To make the post more interesting, I incorporated images in various places on each post. If                    someone is using a screen reader program, the individual would hear the word “image” or                    “blank” (Donegan, 2021). To make my page more inclusive to those with a sight impairmen                  inserting a description or caption about the image would help understand the context more                 clearly.
 
The reading from Donegan also made me think why I used the images that I did for my posts? Did they really add value? Some were used to add some much-needed color or contrast, others helped tell a story or give insight into what I was talking about at that time, and the rest were just for fun. I started to second guess myself until I read Donegan’s last bullet point for making good alt text saying its ok to use images to add visual interest. Sometimes you just need to “zhuzh”!

 

 YARN | Figured just a little something there, a little zhuzh right there. |  Community (2009) - S04E10 Intro To Knots | Video clips by quotes | 51ca9cf1  | 紗

                                                                                                                   Meme by Yarn

This is also my last blog post, or at least for this class. Last night I looked back at my first "entry" and how the thought of this assignment overwhelmed me. Now, I think it was my favorite part of the class. Seriously. It truly did take me back to the days of journal writing, which was always the section of a course that resonated with me. Am I still an analog girl in a digital world? Yes, but I would say there is hope of a full conversion soon!
 


Comments

Popular Posts