The Struggle is Real.....

 The Mindfulness Skill That Is Crucial for Stress

                                                                                                                     Image from Jill Suttie

I just completed my first quiz for this class (ENGL 307T), and did much worse than I anticipated. Even though I thought I was pretty well prepared and felt good when I hit  the "submit" button, the grade that showed up on the next screen was a bit of a shock. And before I could see what I missed, I hit a key that took me out of the review, so now I'm not exactly sure what questions were an issue due to my operator error.

Now, is the grade I earned the end of the world? No, but will say it's the lowest I have received in the last 15 years. Does it mean that I think I should drop the course? No, because I do enjoy it and appreciate that it is different from the other classes I have taken during my academic career. Does it mean I am not capable of learning and comprehending the material? Again, no.

The quiz has shown me that although I use digital technology every day in a variety of ways, I still have a lot to learn. I do know that I need to work on attention training, for I was guilty of trying to multi-task while I was completing the readings. Being a mom for the last 26 years and holding demanding jobs has given me a false sense of this super power. Also, the quiz was NOT open book, so I should have been more engaged with the material when I was reading to help enhance better retention.  The lesson learned this week (among others) is that I am not a "supertasker" as Rheingold refers to in our readings, and I do need to start exercising mindfulness. 

 

        What Is Your Superpower? Multitasking or Mindfulness? | by Joanne Reed |  DataDrivenInvestor

                                                                                                                     Image from Grace Landry 

 

Rheingold H. (2012). Net smart : how to thrive online. MIT Press. Retrieved May 29 2023 from http://www.books24x7.com/marc.asp?bookid=73655.

 

Comments