Crop It Like It's Hot

                                                                                

                                                                   


 
                                                                                                       
Meme by cheezburger.com                         

 

THIS week I have been working on an infographic project. When I first learned about the assignment, I truly had no idea what I was going do. In fact, to be honest, I wasn't familiar with the term. But I soon realized I did know about it, and have known about them for YEARS. Mr. Yuck posters in elementary school, the "Know Your Moles" displayed in the doctor's office with a cute cartoon mole, and the food pyramid chart-all infographics!  In fact, prehistoric cave paintings are infographics, for they were a way to convey information through the use of pictures. 

So now that I knew what the project was, I now needed a topic. This part was much more difficult, for it could not be on just anything, but something we had covered in class. I looked at a variety of inforgraphics online, and realized that covering a subject that I could use data to convey my message would be best, because presenting statistics is a great way to appeal to Logos. After days of reading and re-reading the assignment, it came to me.  I needed to do it on blogging. 

With a subject in mind, it was time to research, which is the part I love (they call me Sherlock Helm at work). I decided that sharing a variety of statistics would be the best way to approach the product, and I was right. 

Did you know......

-that there are 600 million blogs on the internet

-there are 7 million posts a day (that would equal all of the people in Libya....ALL OF THEM) 

-7 minutes is the number of minutes that is the preferred reading time

AND 

-53% of men blog, verses 47% women

But when you are creating an inforgraphic, it's not just about the content. It's about the layout, the colors you use, the font style, the colors you don't use, graphics, white space, the size of the graphics, the font size, and a hundred other things that make it effective. It is interesting, entertaining, exhausting, overwhelming, and addictive all at the same time.

I'm still not finished (probably because I have changed my design twice and considering a third), but it's getting there. It has been a challenge to present my data in an interesting way, but also know that is the reason for the assignment. Stay tuned for the final product!


Ramage, J. D. (2012). Conducting Visual Arguments.

      https://canvas.odu.edu/courses/128492/files/24365270?‍module         _item_id=4656507

 

Tucker, V. (2023). Visual Rhetoric in Digital Artifacts [PowerPoint slides].

      Canvas@ODU. https://canvas.odu.edu/courses/128492.

 

Tucker, V. (2023). Web Rhetoric, Authorship, and Digital Writing [PowerPoint      

         slides]. Canvas@ODU. https://canvas.odu.edu/courses/128492.

 

                                                                                                                    


Comments